Bagel Avocado Toast with Salmon
A healthy morning meal is a great chance to start your day with a variety of healthy foods. This flavorful take on the bagel lox features a whole-grain base, protein-rich Alaska salmon and fresh avocado, tomatoes and onion. It contains fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals to keep your family healthy now and lower risk for cancer later in life. Enjoy this breakfast open faced with a cup of coffee or tea.
- 3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 tsp. dried minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. coarse or flaked salt
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 (4-ounces each) wild Alaska salmon fillets, preferably cut from the thinner tail end
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 whole grain bagels, halved and toasted
- 1 avocado, seeded, sliced, and scooped
- 2 small lemons, quartered
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices tomato (4 if tomatoes are large)
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 tsp. capers (optional)
- 1 tsp. chopped parsley, for garnish
Makes 4 servings (1/2 bagel). Per serving: 590 calories, 36 g total fat (6 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 35 g carbohydrates, 34 g protein, 7 g dietary fiber, 670 mg sodium, 7 g sugar, 0 g added sugar.
- In a bowl, stir together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion, dried garlic and salt.
- In a small bowl with a fork, stir the egg white and cornstarch together until smooth. Brush the skinless sides of the salmon fillets with the egg-white mixture. Spread the seeds on a plate. Press the skinless side of salmon fillets into the seeds to coat them.
- In a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Cook the salmon, seed-side down, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden brown. The seeds brown quickly, so check after 1 minute. Turn and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the salmon should register at 125º F. The exact time will vary according to the thickness of the fillets. Transfer the cooked salmon to a plate and cover loosely with foil while you prepare the bagels. The salmon will continue to cook as it rests.
- On a cutting board, spread the toasted bagel halves. Top with the avocado slices. Mash them with a fork or leave them in slices. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Top each bagel half with 2 tomato slices.
- Place the cooked salmon pieces on top of each bagel. Top with the onion slices, capers and parsley and serve with the remaining lemon wedges.