Chickpea Crepes with Spinach and Mushroom Pesto
Recipe courtesy of The American Institute of Cancer Research
Whip up these crepes for a light and flavorful meal. What’s the secret behind these thin pancakes? They contain flour made from chickpeas called besan (also known as garbanzo bean or gram flour). Besan is made from beans so it’s packed with fiber and protein. Research supports that diets high in plant foods, including beans, can help lower cancer risk.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. soft buttery spread, if using skillet
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 box (5oz.) baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp. prepared pesto
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Makes 6 servings (1, 6” crepe per serving). Per serving: 170 calories, 10 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 13 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 630 mg sodium, 3 g sugar, 0 g added sugar.
- In medium bowl, whisk chickpea flour, oil, rosemary and salt with 1 cup water until mixture is smooth. Let batter sit 20-30 minutes to thicken. Before cooking, stir to loosen any clumps.
- For crepes, set non-stick pan over medium-high heat until drops of water flicked into pan ball up and bounce. With one hand, hold pan up at 45-degree angle. Pour ¼ cup batter near top of pan, rotating pan as you pour so batter flows into 6-7-inch round crepe. Cook until crepe is golden on bottom, 1-2 minutes. Using large spatula, flip and cook until crepe is lightly golden on bottom, about 30 seconds. Transfer crepe to large plate. Cover each crepe with wax paper.
- If not filling crepes immediately, cool to room temperature and cover plate with plastic wrap. Hold crepes at room temperature for up to 8 hours, refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- For filling, in medium skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add red peppers and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture looks wet, 5-6 minutes. Add spinach, stirring to wilt leaves. Cook, stirring often, until most of moisture has evaporated and filling is tender, 8 minutes.
- If crepes have been made ahead, wrap them in foil and warm at 250 degree F for 20 minutes. To assemble crepes, in small bowl, mix pesto with 2 tbsp. warm water. Stir pesto into filling. Arrange a crepe on a plate. Spoon ⅙ filling over bottom half of each crepe, then gently fold crepe in half over filling. Repeat with remaining crepes and filling. If desired, garnish plate with some mesclun leaves and strawberries. Serve immediately.